Because we single girls are often the ones invited to friends’ homes for holiday events, we need to have an arsenal of hostess thank-you gifts to show our appreciation for their hospitality. This gift is perfect for the season. But if you’re a fan of pumpkin-flavored goodness, it’s really a great gift for any time of year.
Start with a cute basket, glass jar, and dish towel (or tea towel). You can find cute and interesting baskets in abundance at thrift or vintage stores. Or, get creative and using something that caters to your host’s hobbies – a cute flower pot, a vintage tin, a letter box, a vintage hat – anything goes here.
You can also get creative with the glass jar. I had this hinged gasket jar, but you could also use a Mason jar, or some other see-through container with a tight-fitting lid.
Assemble all the dry ingredients (and the sugar) in a medium bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
Carefully pour the dry ingredients into your glass jar.
Assemble your basket by lining it with the towel. Place the jar of dry ingredients, a can of solid-pack pumpkin, and a jar of your favorite maple syrup in the basket. Print a tag with the ingredients and instructions and attach it to your basket.
You’ll have a unique gift for your hostess, and your hostess will have a yummy breakfast (not to mention a cute basket, jar, and tea towel) as a memory of your visit.
Here’s the complete recipe. Enjoy!
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
1) Combine all dry ingredients (including sugar) in a large bowl. Mix with a whisk to combine.
2) In another bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, buttermilk, and butter.
3) Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Batter will be very thick.
4) Coat a heated waffle iron with cooking spray or melted butter.
5) Place 1/2 cup of batter into the center of waffle iron, an cook until golden brown. Makes six 7” diameter waffles.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.