Labor Day is often seen as the unofficial end of summer. And with that holiday right around the corner, I thought I’d post my favorite salsa recipe in case you’re looking for something to take to all those picnics and other activities that go hand-in-hand with this American worker’s holiday.
This salsa is seriously addictive – and ridiculously easy to make. It’s a bit on the spicy side. Not too spicy that it renders your taste buds defunct, but enough bite to remind you that it’s salsa. If you prefer your salsa on the mild side, you can omit the jalapenos and the chili flakes. Oh, and if you’re one of the poor, sad, unfortunate 10-15% of the population with the impaired cilantro gene which renders you incapable of enjoying this fabulous herb, you can leave it out too.
This recipe makes a whole bunch of salsa to feed a large partying crowd.
Happy Labor Day!
Chop all veggies into pieces small enough to be handled by an immersion blender.
Add crushed tomatoes and tomato juice.
Mix with an immersion blender until salsa reaches your preferred consistency. I like my salsa on the smooth side, but with chunks of onion and cilantro.
Here are a few warnings of what to do/not do that I may or may not have learned from experience:
- Wash hands thoroughly and often after handling jalapenos before touching your face or eyes.
- Do not put jalapeno ribs/seeds down garbage disposal unless you want to fumigate your kitchen with a cloud of jalapeno vapor.
- Do not handle jalapenos or onions if you have a hang nail, cat scratch, or other such injury on hands.
- Do not stand right over the bowl as you’re blending with the immersion blender unless you want to clear out your sinuses.
Here’s the complete recipe. Enjoy!
1 Large Onion
3 Jalapenos, ribs and seeds removed
1 Bunch Cilantro
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
2 5.5-oz cans tomato juice
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons crushed red chili peppers
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Chop all veggies small enough to be handled by an immersion blender.
2. Add all veggies, spices, lemon juice, crushed tomatoes, and tomato juice to a large bowl.
3. Blend with immersion blender until salsa reaches your desired consistency.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.