After making a big pot of Colcannon for St. Patrick’s Day, and the using some of the leftovers for Savory Potato Puffs, I still had a small amount of Colcannon hanging out in my freezer. One of my favorite things to do with leftover potatoes is to make a big bowl of potato soup. Here’s how I made today’s lunch.
I started with a cup of leftover Colcannon. Then I added 1/2 cup of milk, and a splash of vegetable stock. Keep adding milk and/or stock and mix until soup reaches desired consistency.
Taste test for spices. Add salt and pepper as needed. This is where you can also add extras. Got a leftover slice of bacon from breakfast? Crumble it in. Have some broccoli from last night’s dinner? Throw them in. Anything goes here.
Once soup is heated through, remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
Here’s the complete recipe. Enjoy!
1 cup leftover Colcannon (You can also used leftover mashed potatoes.)
1/2 to 1 cup milk or chicken stock or a combination of both
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
Salt, pepper, and spices to taste
Sour cream and chives (optional)
1) Add milk/stock to potatoes in small sauce pan.
2) Stir until potatoes and liquids are combined.
3) Add more milk/stock as needed until soup reaches desired consistency.
4) Taste test and add salt, pepper, and spices as needed.
5) When soup is heated through, take off heat and add cheese. Mix until cheese melts.
6) Serve with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.